- 1 3/4 cup organic unbleached flour
- 1/4 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons organic sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon non-aluminum baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons cold butter (or coconut oil)
- 1 Large organic egg
- 2/3 cups buttermilk (or 1/3 cup non-dairy milk and 1/3 cup non-dairy yogurt)
- 2 quarts fresh local organic strawberries (washed, sliced and lightly sugared)
- 1 pint organic whipped cream (or non-dairy substitute)
Fresh-picked strawberries are great to use when in season.
|Preheat oven to 375. Lightly butter baking sheet. In large bowl combine dry ingredients, then mix butter in with hands until mixture is crumbly. |
Beat eggs and add buttermilk, mix well. Stir this into flour mixture very lightly.
Turn out on a floured surface and knead lightly. Roll or pat out to 1/2 inch thick.
Cut with a biscuit cutter. Place biscuits on baking sheets and brush lightly with milk. Bake 15 minutes or until golden.
When biscuits are cool enough to handle, slice in half horizontally. Scoop berries onto bottom half of biscuit and add a dollop of whipped cream. Put top of biscuit on, top with whipped cream and another scoop of berries.