Author’s Blog
25th Jul

2013

Beware of Toxic Markers

Markers

Every child loves to draw and paint, and encouraging and nurturing their creative instincts is good parenting. But the chemicals and hazardous materials in some art supplies can be hazardous to children, especially those with asthma and allergies, and should be avoided. Of particular concern are markers, especially the scented and permanent versions. Scented markers are fun to use, but with names like ‘silly strawberry’ and ‘yummy banana’, it encourages children to taste and smell them, something you would not want your children to do! And permanent markers are typically solvent-based which present significant health hazards by inhaling their toxic vapors.

Beeswax crayons are my favorite for young children and recipes for food-based homemade finger paint and play dough are easy to find. Some good resources can be found here or here.

Share This :